The Springs’ occupied crown land to the south of Orange and was located on a Travelling Stock Route. The Springs was a mixed Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal fringe camp. As the name implies, ‘The Springs’ is in the vicinity of a freshwater spring and is likely to have also been occupied by Wiradjuri people prior to European settlement of the region. During the 1930s and 1940s, ‘The Springs’ was occupied by individuals and families unable to access government assistance while suffering the effects of the Great Depression and was a location where people subject to the Aborigines Protection Act 1909–1969 could congregate.
Aboriginal families at ‘The Springs’ included members of the Monaghan, Carberry, Grace and Bell families. Ms Williams also remembers Burnes, Monaghan, Hart and Merritt families. Many of the Aboriginal residents of ‘The Springs’ were from well-established Wiradjuri and Ngunnawal.