Byng is located just 22km east of Orange via Lucknow. Byng was settled in the 1830s by Cornish Methodist families and became know as the Cornish Settlement, then as Carangara. In 1854 the village reserve was approved by Governor Fitzroy and became know as the Parish of Byng, Bathurst County. Byng was named after Admiral John Byng who was executed for treason in 1757.
The Wesleyan Chapel, which is located on the site of the original church of 1842, is still in use today. Opposite is the historic cemetery with graves of pioneers of the district.