Blayney was laid out by RG Haddon in 1843 and gazetted as a village the same year. The first town lots sold in 1845. The opening of the railway in 1876 saw the area thrive. Blayney became a vital rail hub which led to a building boom with a bank, court house and municipal council established.
After the opening of the rail line to Cowra in 1888, Blayney became a junction town, movitating the development of such industries as: the Country Freezing Works, Blayney Mining and Smelting Company.