About this objectA navy coloured material dress cap with a leather chin strap. The cap has a solid peak, and on the top of the peak is an embroidered gold leaf border design following the curve of the peak. There is a 4 cm red cloth cap band with a Major's gold, black and red cloth emblem (a lion over a crown) on the front.
Inside the cap is a plastic lining.
MakerW. Chorley & Co. Pty Ltd
Date Madec. 1940s
Place MadeSydney, New South Wales
Place NotesW. Chorley & Co. Pty Ltd
313 George Street, Sydney NSW, Australia
Medium and MaterialsMaterial
MeasurementsH: 120 mm
Dia: 270 mm
Subject and Association KeywordsClothing
Subject and Association KeywordsA.E. Colvin
Subject and Association DescriptionArthur Edward Colvin was born on the 24 April 1883 at Jamberoo and moved to Molong where he set up a general practice and then after his marriage to Edith Jaques Stack from Bathurst, the couple moved to Orange to join the practice of Dr Neville Howse in January 1913.
Following the outbreak of WWI Dr Colvin conducted medical examinations of volunteers at Drill Hall in Lords Place, Orange. He enlisted for service in June 2015, and embarked from Sydney the following month, a Captain in the Australian Army Medical Corps. After the war, Dr Colvin returned to Britain to undertake further specialist training in ophthalmology. He returned to Orange in 1921 and established a specialist medical practice in Anson Street, Orange. Dr Colvin's service to his country was acknowledged by King George VI, who, in 1935, awarded him a CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire). He also was awarded a Military Cross.
During WWII Dr Colvin again volunteered his services, and in 1939 was appointed to Australian Army Headquarters as Assistant Director-General of Medical Services, and in 1943 he was seconded as Medical Services Advisor to the Director-General of Manpower. Dr Colvin retired from active Army Service in 1945.