About this objectWooden boxed set of sphygmoidoscopes. Box has been stained brown and is fitted with two inset hooks on the side of the case to secure the box closed and two hinges at the back. The box lid and base have dove-tailed joints.
There is a metal black printed label attached on inside of the lid "R" with 'Lamps/the correct lamps/for this instrument/are/type L17/voltage 35/The British Cystoscope Co. Ltd/London'.
1. Larger sized Sphygmoidoscope - silver metal (chromed) with numerical gauge engraved on side 5-30. At top of instrument around the throat is hand engraved 'M.S.U' and then at right angles across the 'U' is 'C.S.'. the top rim is corrugated and almost circular.
The Sphygmoidoscope has a plunger with a bulbous end and a ring handle at the top to remove it from the device.
Total length: 39cm, Width: 3.6cm.
2. Silver metal (chromed) smaller Sphygmoidoscope with ring pull plunger gauge engraved on side 5-25. 'M.S.U' hand engraved around the throat of the device and 'G.S.'
Total length: 34cm, Width: 3.5cm
3. Silver metal (chromed) attachment with 'CS' hand engraved on side and circular glass panel in centre with corrugated rim.
4. Silver metal (chromed) instrument with cylindrical central component and two lateral parts, one of which can be unscrewed and has a small glass lamp inside.
5. Light grey wire (188cm long) with two silver metal prongs at one end and a single silver metal attachment at the other with hexagonal body.
MakerThe British Cystoscope Co. Ltd
Subject and Association DescriptionA Sphygmoidoscope is for a procedure used to see inside colon and rectum on stretching the bowel with air and expelling